Multi Airline Peer Support (MAPS)
What is peer support?
Peer support systems for pilots and their relatives have been in existence for several years producing notable success in addressing:
- performance related issues
- substance and alcohol abuse
- post incident trauma
- daily life problems e.g. domestic, bereavement, financial etc
Peer Support Systems are now taking on an expanded role in the mental health arena following the crash of German Wings flight 9525 and a renewed interest in Mental Health First Aid in the workplace.
Could MAPS peer support help me?
Peer support improves wellbeing and promotes positive mental health, through signposting to professional services, via an approachable and relatable medium.
Peer Support can:
- help you to open-up about what you are feeling and experiencing
- provide the tools to enable you to self-report an issue that is bothering you without fear of it impacting your career or progression in the company
- introduce you to ideas and approaches that others have found helpful
- reassure you that you’re not alone in how you are feeling
- help you to connect with others and give you a sense of belonging
- encourage you to value your strengths
- build your self-esteem and confidence
- help you to feel more hopeful about the future
- help protect your well-being and livelihood by decreasing time you might need to take off from flying
- give you a non-judgemental space to receive support.
Register with MAPS
If you are not currently a member of MAPS and would like to find out more about achieving compliance, please click here
The team at KURA are passionate about supporting our clients at all stages of the peer support journey; from making that difficult first contact through to satisfactory outcome (and beyond if you need us!). As part of this commitment, we have created MAPS.
The MAPS Team is led by our Pilot trainers Niven Phoenix, James Thurrell and Pete Whitten and is supported by Aviation Clinical Psychologists and an AME. You can read more about the team here.
The team aims to support companies in offering peer support and improve resilience to , and recovery from, significant events.
All our MAPS clients are offered this support from the Kura Team – we believe this unique initiative offers our pilots unparalleled, invaluable support which truly makes a difference to each one of them.